Filers Can Call 2-1-1 or 1-888-421-1266 to Set an Appointment
United Way of Central Alabama will begin offering appointments for free tax preparation to Central Alabama individuals and families with a household income of less than $54,000 in 2016. IRS certified volunteers will prepare tax returns to help clients get the largest refund for which they qualify. Filers will save an estimated $200 or more and might be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit when they file. Volunteers will begin seeing clients with appointments on January 17.
Most tax returns are ready in just seven days after an initial interview appointment. United Way’s drop-off service provides a convenient way for working individuals to have their taxes prepared around their work schedule.
United Way’s 2-1-1 information center is scheduling the tax preparation appointments and providing additional information on qualifications for free help, locations, dates and times and documents clients should bring to their appointments. Individuals may call 2-1-1 or 1-888-421-1266 to schedule appointments.
In 2016, United Way volunteers prepared 3,265 federal tax returns resulting in refunds totaling $2,478,625. Those filers saved an estimated $653,000 in tax preparation fees by using this free service.
Not only do filers avoid the financial burden of tax preparation fees, but they are also ensured that they get all of the tax credits available to them.
Clients should bring the following information with them:
- Social Security cards for all family members
- Driver’s License or non-drivers ID. Spouses filing jointly must both be present
- Last year’s federal and state tax returns
- W-2 forms
- 1099s for interest, dividends, retirement, Social Security, unemployment or self-employment
- 1095 for Health Insurance Coverage
- Letters or documents from the IRS
- Child care receipts – name, address, tax ID number and amount paid
- Tuition expenses (1098T) and student loan interest (1098E)
- Receipts for property tax, vehicle tag, charitable gifts, medical, dental or prescriptions
- A voided check for direct deposit
United Way also offers free tax preparation online at MyFreeTaxes.com. This service is free for individuals earning $64,000 or less and utilizes free H&R block software. For more information go to: http://www.uwca.org/taxes/