Success By 6: Preparing for Success in School
Join us in preparing today’s preschool age children to succeed in school. Success By 6 has been improving the quality of early learning for children in child care settings across our community since 2005.
Success By 6 supports a whole child approach to education, focusing on both cognitive skills and the child’s social and emotional development.
Success By 6 is committed to:
Focusing on School Readiness in Pre-K Classrooms
Success By 6 facilitates “best practice” quality early learning standards in 68 Pre-K classrooms each year. With skilled School Readiness Specialists, children in the classrooms are assessed and evaluated, and these teachers receive side-by-side technical assistance and professional development training throughout the school year.
Jefferson County – 36 Classrooms
Shelby County – 6 classrooms
- Young Impressions – 2
- Pink & Blue
- University Baptist
- Lil’ Angels Learning Center
- Mini Marvels Child Care
Blount County – 4 classrooms
- Ratchford Head Start – 2
- Friends Child Care – 2
St Clair County – 5 classrooms
- Brentwood Childcare
- Clair Head Start – 4
Walker County – 17 classrooms
- All God’s Children
- ARC of Walker County
- TR Simmons Elementary School
- West Jasper Elementary
- Walker County Head Starts:
- Carbon Hill Head Start
- Cordova Head Start – 2
- Curry Head Start – 2
- Lupton Head Start
- Oakman Head Start – 2
- Parrish Head Start
- Sumiton Head Start – 3
- Valley Head Start
Success By 6 partners with Pre-K classrooms in public schools, private child care centers, faith-based child care centers, and Head Start centers across central Alabama. Working closely with the teachers in each classroom, Success By 6 School Readiness Specialists provide technical assistance and resources while sharing best practices to give every child an opportunity to be ready for kindergarten.
Performing Community Outreach
With the help of many community partners and volunteers, Success By 6 is out in the community providing health screenings, putting free school supplies and thousands of books in the hands of young children.
Success By 6 is a leader in convening early childhood education and health partners, and works to keep community focus on helping children succeed in school. Success By 6 impacts thousands of children each year through outreach efforts including:
- Free books distributed each year to encourage a life-long love of learning and reading.
- Oral Health Prevention, education, and linkage to services promote good oral health to reduce the number one cause of school absences- dental pain.
- Family activities encouraging parental engagement and make learning fun.
- School Supply Distribution to get tools for success to children in need.
- Referrals linking children with health, development issues and those with disabilities to support services.
- Volunteer Engagement to improve the learning environment and serve as positive role models for children. Success By 6 works with a wide network of partners who are all committed to improving access to quality early learning and preparing children to succeed in school.
Success By 6 – Partners
- American Academy of Pediatrics – AL Chapter
- Alabama Department of Children’s Affairs
- Alabama Department of Public Health
- Alabama Literacy Alliance
- Alabama Medicaid Agency
- Alabama Partnership for Children – Smart Start
- Alabama Public Television
- Alabama School Readiness Alliance
- Better Basics
- Birmingham City Schools
- Blount County Children’s Center
- Blount County School System
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama
- Cadence Bank
- Cahaba Valley Health Care
- Center for Excellence in Early Childhood
- Childcare Enhancement with a Purpose
- Childcare Resources
- Children’s of Alabama
- Children’s Policy Councils – Shelby, Jefferson, St. Claire, Walker County
- Children’s Rehabilitation Services
- Community Foundation of Greater Birmingham
- Exchange Club Family Skills Center
- Fairfield City Schools
- Family Guidance Center- Jefferson and Montgomery County
- Goodrich Foundation
- Hands on Birmingham
- Healthy Child Care Alabama
- Help Me Grow- Alabama
- Hispanic Interest Coalition of Alabama
- Iberia Bank
- Independent Presbyterian Church Foundation
- Jasper City Schools
- JCCEO Head Start
- Jefferson County Department of Health
- Jefferson County School System
- Jones Valley Teaching Farm
- Junior League of Birmingham
- Kid Check Alabama
- Literacy Councils of Alabama
- O’Neal Industries
- Parent Assistance Line- PAL
- Pell City Schools
- PNC Bank
- Publix Super Markets Charities
- Reach Out and Read
- Regions Bank
- Rotary Club of Birmingham
- Rotary Club – East Lake
- Sesame Street Workshop
- Shelby County School System
- Sight Savers America
- Clair County School System
- Tarrant City Schools
- The Thompson Foundation
- The Malone Family Foundation
- UAB School of Dentistry
- UAB School of Public Health
- United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Birmingham
- United Way of West Alabama
- Walker Area Community Foundation
- Walker County School System
- Woodlawn Foundation
Providing Community Planning and Leadership
Success By 6 works closely with state, county, and local education groups. Plainly stated, Success By 6 is a go-to source for increasing the quality of early learning in Alabama.
Promoting the Health and Well-Being of Children
Providing healthy options early in life puts our children on course to become healthier adults. Success By 6 is committed to safe learning environments and providing healthy options for physical activity and nutrition in the preschool years. Success By 6 partners with the Alabama Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics on an innovative program called Help Me Grow, which provides referrals to services to help families and children with developmental and/or behavioral challenges.
Success By 6’s Health Focus includes:
- Health and developmental screenings prepare children for success in school and to identify possible barriers to learning and development.
- Nutrition and physical activities are promoted to help kids establish healthy habits for life and fight childhood obesity.
- Quality standards are implemented to help child care centers comply with child care regulations ensuring the health and safety of children.
- Linking families to resources for developmental needs through Help Me Grow– Central Alabama
To learn more about United Way’s Success By 6 call us at (205)-231-5131 or (888)-421-1266 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org