Who Qualifies for Free Tax Preparation?
United Way offers two ways to file for free!
- If you earn $54,000 or less per year – you qualify for free tax assistance at United Way. Call 2-1-1 (1-888-421-1266) or click here to make your appointment.
- New in 2020: Everyone with simple returns can file online – There is NO income limit to file state and federal taxes at MyFreeTaxes.com!
You may also be eligible for earned-income tax credits up to $4,824. You can avoid high fees by having your taxes prepared by IRS-certified volunteers and get your refund in 10 to 14 days. Unsure about eligibility? Call us or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When Does United Way Provide Free Tax Assistance?
The 2021 Tax Season will begin in late January with our new contact free option: GetYourRefund, which allows you to submit your documents online, and have volunteers prepare your return! Watch for details here in early January.
What Information Do Tax Filers Need to Gather to be Ready for Tax Preparation?
United Way’s Free Tax Assistance Program advises tax filers to bring the following documents for their tax preparation appointment:
- Social Security cards for all family members
- Driver License or non-drivers ID. Spouses filing jointly must both be present.
- Last year’s federal and state tax returns
- W-2 forms
- 1099s for interest, dividends, retirement, Social Security, unemployment or self-employment
- 1095 for health insurance coverage
- Letters or documents from the IRS
- Childcare receipts – name, address, tax ID# and amount paid
- Tuition expenses (1098T) and student-loan interest (1098E)
- Receipts for property tax, vehicle tags, charitable gifts and medical, dental and prescription-drug expenses
- Voided check or direct deposit
How Do I Contact United Way for Free Tax Assistance?
For additional information, call United Way’s 2-1-1 Information and Referral Line or call 1-888-421-1266.
Call today for an appointment.
We prepare taxes year-round.
Volunteer to Play a Part in this Important Community Service
Every year, we need volunteers for United Way Free Tax Preparation. United Way is offering a contact free option to serve customers by receiving their documents online and discussing by telephone. Whether you would like to help by reviewing new requests, gathering information and checking their documents, or by actually preparing their tax returns, we need you and will provide all the necessary training for you to become IRS-certified. We also offer student internship opportunities for class credit. Volunteer participation is key to making this program successful, and it’s a great way to serve our community. Volunteer participation is key to making this program successful, and it’s a great way to serve our community. To learn more, please click here or email email@example.com.