Inside or outside the office, the employees of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama (BCBS) care deeply about people and their community. True to form, the company’s annual Day of Caring, which puts those words into action, was multi-faceted and had an incredible turnout again this year. While some employees stayed at BCBS headquarters to work on community service projects there, others spent the morning at Glen Iris Elementary School.
Employees at headquarters assembled a variety of kits designed to help people ranging from school children and veterans to struggling families and seniors. They compiled 250 boxes in total with 20 kits per box. Kits included:
- Financial stability kits for United Way agencies.
- Senior entertainment kits for United Way’s Area Agency on Aging.
- Hygiene kits for Firehouse Ministries, Salvation Army and Fellowship House.
- Homelessness care kits for veterans’ programs, homeless shelters and warming stations.
- Pencil pouch kits for Girls Inc.
- Children’s snack kits for Ronald McDonald House and the Boys and Girls Clubs of Central Alabama.
- Senior breakfast kits for United Way’s Area Agency on Aging.
- Silverware kits for Ronald McDonald House.
- 20 bicycles with helmets.
- Cards of encouragement for Meals on Wheels created by the children of BCBS employees.
BCBS employees who went to Glen Iris Elementary School pitched in on a continuing United Way Hands On playground project. Irrigation ditches had previously been dug and trees had been transplanted. The next step was to prevent soil erosion, so the Blue Cross group put down mulch in an area that will provide learning opportunities for Glen Iris students through Jones Valley Teaching Farm.
When asked about the company culture in regard to volunteering and service, Mr. Raysine Cobb, BCBS Customer Service Coordinator, said, “As an employee for 27 years, I can say this is the standard. We want to help people, and we’re volunteering willingly. We’re here to serve our community whether we’re outside of our building or in.”
Thank you, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama, for your exemplary community partnership with United Way of Central Alabama!