Across the country, many people experienced social isolation during the COVID-19 pandemic. But did you know that isolation is more intense for LGBTQA+ members of the community? Especially for those whose family or friend networks have rejected them—or who feel like they can’t be their true selves around certain people in their lives—isolation can be a curse with significant physical and mental health impacts.
Here at United Way of Central Alabama, we live United against hate, prejudice, and discrimination of all kinds. During times of crisis, it’s even more important to come together as a community, celebrate unique experiences and welcome diverse perspectives.
This Pride Month, we encourage you to share messages of support with your LGBTQA+ family, friends, co-workers, and neighbors. Not sure what to say? Here are a few ideas to get you started on a text message, email, social media post, or card.
- I love you and value you for who you are.
- Thanks for sharing your true self with me. I appreciate you.
- Your courage and resilience are inspiring.
- How can I support you during this difficult time? You deserve love and compassion.
- During Pride Month, I remember how glad I am to have you in my life.
- I support you and all other LGBTQA+ people around the world.
- Thank you for being you!
During this time, when we need connection more than ever, let’s embrace the diversity that makes our community strong. Let’s LIVE UNITED for hope, love, and pride in who we are.
United Way of Central Alabama fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community, including LGBTQA+ individuals. In addition to sharing a message of support, consider making a donation to help everyone here live their best lives. We are stronger together!