Usually, the most distressing part of getting from Point A to Point B is hitting a string of red lights. Finding transportation to our jobs, the grocery store and other daily errands is often an afterthought. This isn’t the case for many of our neighbors, however, who can’t drive themselves or don’t have access to reliable transportation.
When seeking medical attention, this is a dangerous barrier. Even missing a routine doctor visit because of being unable to find a ride can lead to life-threatening complications.
Local 2-1-1 staff dispatch and schedule rides on behalf of clients
Luckily, United Way of Central Alabama’s (UWCA’s) Ride United program offers free round-trip, on-demand rides that connect qualified individuals to needed services. Riders can simply call 2-1-1 , and a UWCA Community Service Response Specialist will connect them to a clean, safe Lyft ride to and from their destination. Or visit UWCA’s 2-1-1 page for more information.
- Clients are encouraged to call 24 hours or more in advance of needed ride.
- No other transportation options are adequate or available (such as Non-Emergency Medical Transit provided by Medicare or Medicaid)
- Clients are 18+ years old or accompanied by a guardian.
- Clients will comply with Lyft’s Health Safety Requirements.
- No proof of income is required.
- Local 2-1-1 staff dispatch/schedule rides on behalf of clients ensuring connection with the driver.
- We are happy to provide round-trip accommodations to and from your destination.
Ways to Use Ride United:
- Work – interviews, drug screenings, job attendance
- Government assistance – appointments to complete documentation needed for assistance or benefits, appointments to collect benefits (SNAP/TANF, food boxes, essential items)
- Education services – appointments related to education at all levels, trips to get items or supplies essential for education, trips to training or classes for adult or continuing education students
- Health services – appointments for counseling or medical needs
- Basic needs – trips to obtain groceries, prescription drugs, and other essential items