Resources for Nonprofits Responding to COVID-19
UWCA Community Crisis Fund
United Way invites nonprofit organizations in Central Alabama to submit applications for funding to provide immediate relief to agencies stressed by dwindling resources and increasing needs that are a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Funds will be distributed through two channels: The Human Needs Assistance Fund and the Nonprofit Sustainability Fund. Click here to download the full funding announcement.
Human Needs Assistance Fund
The Human Needs Assistance Fund is designed to supplement agencies’ abilities to meet basic human needs during a crisis. These funds will be distributed to continue feeding programs, shelters, emergency medical transport services, prescription assistance, utilities assistance, residential programs for people with disabilities who require assistance in order to live and other providers of services necessary to sustain life. In addition, where applicable, funding may be available to assist agencies in transporting their clients to testing sites and for the care of clients directly impacted by this virus.
Please note, Human Needs Assistance Fund grants are restricted to cover programmatic costs only. Agencies seeking general administrative support should explore the Nonprofit Sustainability Fund.
Nonprofit Sustainability Fund
United Way recognizes that nonprofits will face financial strain as their abilities to be reimbursed by local governments for their services to the public will be diminished by the need for social distancing during the pandemic. Limited grants are available to select nonprofit organizations who can demonstrate a need for operating funds that is a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For Agencies Receiving an Annual Allocation from United Way:
United Way recognizes that many of our allocation partners may have to cancel or reschedule fundraising events due to COVID-19 concerns. With that in mind, we are lifting the blackout period restriction for UWCA-approved events that need to be rescheduled to occur in September, 2020. Partners requesting an exemption from the 2020 fundraising blackout period may do so by clicking here. Unless otherwise noted, the fundraising blackout period will remain in effect from October 1 -Thanksgiving of 2020.
Information about COVID-19:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- Alabama Public Health: https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/covid19/index.html
- Alabama Public Health Characteristics of Laboratory Confirmed Cases of COVID-19: https://www.uwca.org/wp-content/uploads/cov-al-cases-052420.pdf
COVID-19 in Alabama Map: Alabama Department of Public Health: https://alpublichealth.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/6d2771faa9da4a2786a509d82c8cf0f7
Health & Safety Guidance for Employers Operating During COVID-19 Outbreak (General):
- CISA – MEMORANDUM ON IDENTIFICATION OF ESSENTIAL CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE WORKERS DURING COVID-19 RESPONSE
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019ncov/community/guidance-businessresponse.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fcoronavirus%2F2019-ncov%2Fspecific-groups%2Fguidance-business-response.html
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: https://store.samhsa.gov/system/files/sma14-4894.pdf
- The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission: https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/pandemic_flu.html
- Jefferson County Department of Health Recommendations for Essential Businesses: Guidance For Essential Businesses
Health & Safety Guidance for Community and Faith-Based Leaders:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/organizations/index.html
Health & Safety Guidance for Schools and Childcare Programs:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/index.html
Resources for Agencies Managing a Remote Workforce:
- Council of Nonprofits: https://www.councilofnonprofits.org/nonprofits-and-coronavirus-covid-19
- Montana Nonprofit Association: https://mailchi.mp/mtnonprofit/working-from-home
Resources for Workers Impacted by COVID-19:
- Alabama department of Labor: https://www.labor.alabama.gov/covid19resources.aspx
COVID Testing Locations:
- Call the Alabama COVID-19 24/7 hotline at 1-888-264-2256 for testing sites and hours of operation. https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/infectiousdiseases/cov-testing.html
- Other Community Resources:
- Birmingham Strong: www.bhmstrong.com
- Fact Sheet: Forgivable Loans for Child Care Providers through the CARES Act
- Infographic: Understanding CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act)